Absorbing yourself in a drawing or painting for a couple of hours can be very therapeutic and a wonderful way to spend a rainy day. Here are some tips on how to paint a still life, from this month’s Modern Creative, artist Jessica Cooper. No experience necessary!
What you’ll need
- Pencils, crayons, pens, pastels, inks, paint
- Water, brushes, rags, kitchen roll
- Some everyday objects to arrange: tableware, fruit, flowers
- Take your time arranging your objects
- Set yourself up somewhere comfortable
- Make sure you have all your materials to hand before starting
- Choose objects that you have a connection with, i.e. A favourite cup or flowers that you love.
- Take time to get to know your subject, spend at least five minutes looking at what you’re about to work on.
- Don’t worry about not having the best materials to work with, brilliant pieces of art can be created on scraps of paper.
- If you get stuck, always stop and look at your subject again, don’t make marks for the sake of it.
- Have fun and enjoy what you’re doing.
SHOW US WHAT YOU MAKE: #SeasaltArtsClub