If you like a traditional Easter hot cross bun, we’ve got a great recipe for you! These buns are delicious warm with some butter.
Ingredients for the buns:
For the buns:
1.3lb strong white flour
2tsp ground mixed spice
1tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp ground nutmeg
1.5oz unsalted butter
30z golden caster sugar
1.5 tsp dried yeast
2oz mixed dried peel
For the topping:
2tbsp plain flour
1tbsp golden syrup
- Put flour, salt and spices into a mixing bowl and rub the butter into the flour. Make a well in the centre and add the sugar and yeast.
- Beat the egg and add to the flour with the milk. Mix to form a dough.
- Carefully mix in the dried fruit and the knead for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Put the dough into a warm, greased bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave to prove in a warm place for 1 hour
- Turn out the dough, knock it back and then pop it back into the bowl to prove again for 30 minutes.
- Turn it out and divide into 12 equal pieces, roll them into balls and place on a baking tray. Pop the tray into a large polythene bag, tie the end of the bag and leave to prove for 40 minutes.
- Mix the plain flour to a smooth paste with 2 tablespoons of cold water and use a piping bag to pipe crosses on the buns.
- Pop in the oven at 200c for 12-15 minutes until they are golden brown.
- As soon as you remove the buns from the oven brush them with warmed golden syrup.