Gordon Mackfall (above) isn’t just the dad of our assistant accessory designer, Lottie. He’s also the owner of Mariners fish and chip shop in Penryn and the regular supplier of many a finely fried Friday lunches to the team at Seasalt HQ. Fish connoisseur as he is, we tapped him for his best crab recipe and this is what he gave us – delicious!
“I love to do this recipe as it always starts with a visit from my local fisherman Jamie. He’s the owner and skipper of Harvester–2 out of Mylor. Fresh Cornish crab is always a fantastic treat to eat right the way through from Spring until Christmas, but if you don’t fancy boiling your own then visit Seabourne Fish in Penryn, where they pick on the premises.
Top Tip: Buy 2 crabs. Boil both (15-20 mins). Cool down in cold water. Pick one for the recipe. Freeze the other whole in its shell.
When the 2nd crab is required, defrost and use exactly like a fresh crab. The quality is always retained by using this method.
2 tbsp mustard oil
1 tbsp ghee
1 onion, chopped finely
5cm/2inch piece ginger root, grated
2 garlic cloves, peeled but left whole
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp salt
1tsp chilli powder
2 fresh green chillies, chopped
1 tsp paprika
125g/4oz/1/2 cup brown crab meat350g/12oz/ 1 ½ cups white crab meat
250ml/8floz/1 cup natural yogurt
1 tsp garam malsala
Basmati rice, to serve
Fresh coriander, to garnish
- Heat the mustard oil in a large pan, preferably non-stick, or wok. When it starts to smoke add the ghee and onion, stir for 3 minutes over a medium heat until the onion is soft.
- Stir in the ginger and whole garlic cloves
- Add the turmeric, salt, chilli powder, chillies and paprika. Mix thoroughly.
- Increase the heat and add the crab meat and yogurt. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until the sauce is thickened slightly. Add garam masala to taste.
- Serve hot, over plain basmati rice, with the fresh coriander either chopped or in springs.
For information about Gordon and his opening times, should you be in Penryn and looking for some good fish and chips: http://www.marinerstakeaway.com/Tweet